Senior Web Content Editor
This position requires the ability to secure a security clearance of secret level, if needed.
The Senior Web Editor is critical to ensuring the quality of written content for use in technology-based training. This key senior position will monitor the work of Web Content Editors. In that role, he or she will recommend personnel for projects based on skills and abilities, monitor the section for workload, identify common issues among different projects, and propose new methods and technologies as appropriate to optimize workflow.
Location: Arlington, Virginia
- Oversees a team of web content editors who interact with other training professionals to produce online learning materials.
- Recommends personnel for projects based on skills and abilities.
- Monitors work products of Web Content Editors and escalates concerns as appropriate.
- Provides editorial oversight on materials that address a wide range of subjects, ranging from technical procedures to soft-skills training.
- Provides support to Web Content Editors to facilitate tight timelines in a results-oriented environment.
- Acts as liaison between section and other technical staff, if necessary.
- Represents the section in planning meetings with government staff.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of subjects important to Foreign Service Officers and apply knowledge to help others produce appropriate, effective, and meaningful content.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Additional Experience - Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience in, producing content relevant to the State Department.
- Additional Experience - Demonstrated knowledge of section 508/web accessibility guidelines.
Education and/or Experience
Minimum Education Required
- Master’s degree in Journalism, English, Communications, or a related field.
Minimum Experience Required
- Minimum 5 years related experience.
- Demonstrated experience managing staff and monitoring performance against business goals.
- Demonstrated experience writing and editing for online formats and platforms.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current best practices in preparing content for online formats.
- Demonstrated experience with online training products, including but not limited to responsive web pages, mobile apps, podcasts, and short video screenplays.
- Demonstrated experience working with subject matter experts to validate content while producing focused, engaging online content.
- Demonstrated ability to apply AP or other industry-standard style guides.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining positive relationships with colleagues.
- Demonstrated experience in developmental editing, copyediting, and proofreading.
- Demonstrated experience working with production teams and managing product workflow.
The Senior Web Editor is critical to ensuring the quality of written content for use in technology-based training and monitoring the work of Web Content Editors. In many industry engagements, an MFA is required for this type of role. ISD requires at least 5 years of experience to ensure the person put into this leadership role is a proven performer that is capable performing the work, and also translate that experience into coaching and guidance for Web content Editors.